Monday, July 22, 2013

God's Wrath is a Blessing to the Christian




As I was praying this morning I began thanking God for His grace, kindness, and mercy towards me. I thanked Him for His justice in my life, and then I found myself thanking Him for something that I don't normally thank Him for. I expressed my gratitude for His wrath.

Does this sound strange? Do you ever do this? As I began to think more about what I said, the Holy Spirit revealed to my heart that if God was not wrathful, then I would still be lost in my sin. This is true for all believers for two reasons:
  1. God had to pour out His wrath upon Christ on the cross in order to even offer the way of salvation.
  2. God also had to pour forth His wrath toward us by taking our old man and placing him on the cross with Christ. Thus our old man has been crucified and God has made us new.
The above examples show that God's wrath is His blessing poured out in our favor!

It is a trustworthy statement, deserving of full acceptance, that if one desires to understand God in His love, they must first have an accurate view of God in His wrath.

Therefore, the very reason we as Christians have the right to proclaim the name of Christ is a direct result of His wrath in our lives. He gave us life by showing us wrath. Consider it a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! I like your thinking! Thank the Lord He is all that He is!

    ReplyDelete