Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Who Made God?


In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Genesis 1:1
Notice that God does not begin His Word trying to prove His own existence. In fact, no author of Scripture ever attempts to advocate on behalf of such an argument because the reality of there being a Creator God is clear.[1] When I purchased my computer a few weeks prior to attending Bible School, I found that inside the box was an instruction manual on how to use it properly. The only thing I did not find was a brochure trying to prove to me that the computer I paid for actually existed. We do not normally expect to find such a brochure because it is obvious that the computer before us does indeed exist. Why? I believe the reason is because the company who fashioned the very computer on which I happen to be writing this blog, expects me to understand that there is in fact a computer and, not only that, but a programmer who created the computer as well.

Ultimately we know that nobody made God because God has always been. Although we will never be able to fully grasp this concept of God’s eternality, we must always remember that a lack of understanding on our part does not remove the possibility or make something to be untrue. It just causes us to realize that we do not know everything. For example: I want you to find an individual born blind and explain to them the color blue. No matter what you say, that person will never truly be capable of understanding the concept of color let alone a specific shade. That being said, their lack of understanding does not make the existence of the color blue any less true. All it means is that they lack comprehension.

Ryan Sharp summarized this thought well when he wrote:

God is the ultimate Cause that sets all other causes and effects into motion. He is supernatural, meaning He exists outside the natural universe and isn’t governed by natural laws. Hence, God doesn’t need a cause for His existence. Asking the question, “Who made God?” is similar to asking the question, “What does an invisible man look like?” By definition, a man who is invisible cannot be seen. If I ask what he looks like, I’m asking a question that changes his nature of invisibility. Once I change his nature, he is no longer the thing I’m asking about. In other words, if an invisible man looked like anything, he would no longer be invisible. By definition, God is uncaused. If I ask, “Who made God?”, then I have changed God’s nature and am no longer asking about God—the Uncaused Cause.[2]




[1] Rom. 1:20; ESV, 939
[2] An Article taken from HCSB the Apologetics Study Bible for Students, p. 1287

1 comment: