Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spirit Baptism

"For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." - Acts 1:5
Jesus knew that John's baptism was only a sign and a single event in a persons life. A sign is good, but what's the use of a well designed sign in a room with no lights? God knew that a sign alone wouldn't do the trick...so He gave us Himself.

Being a billboard for Christ is not enough. God wanted His name in lights. However, in order to light up the sky we needed power to do so. Therefore, God plugged us in to His divinity and set us on fire.

As believers, we have been baptized with the Holy Spirit. This means that the God of the universe has completely and overwhelmingly drowned us in Himself. We have been immersed in God and are swimming deep within the oceans of His infinite being.

But I want to ask you a question. Are you taking this Spirit baptism for granted?

You see, unlike water that will eventually dry off, the Spirit is the constant river of life. In Him there are no seasons of drought. This is not only a one time occurrence, but it is a continual immersion in which you cannot get out of.

It is as if God has placed us in an ocean that has neither shore nor surface. Does this seem impossible? With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!

A house cannot hold Him, yet the fullness of deity dwells in our hearts and minds? I will not try and act like I have this figured out, but what an amazing truth. God not only has come and made His dwelling among us, but He empowers us each and every day to do His will by walking in humble submission which is faithful obedience.

Seeing now that we have been baptized with His Spirit of Holiness, let us seek earnestly to be led and controlled only by Him.

PRAYER
God, You have poured out Your Spirit upon me.
You have allowed me to partake of Your divine nature.
You have baptized me in Your Holy Spirit and You have given me the very power of heaven.
May I never take this for granted, but may I learn from this.
Lord, help me! O God, teach me!
Keep me and cause me to walk according to Your Spirit.
Make me a man of faithfulness and show me Your glory.
Set me on fire, O God, and burn brightly that all may see Your face.
In Christ's name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment